RAG students to run Athens marathon

It’s the first of its kind

UCLU RAG is sending a team of students to the birthplace of the marathon this November.

This is the first marathon event for RAG, who are better known for challenges such as Jailbreak and Lost. However, the event has been fastidiously organised with support and training being provided for those who choose to run the gruelling course.

Anyone of any ability can take part, but all participants have been asked to raise a minimum of £1,200 for CLIC Sargent in order to race.

Runners will fly to Athens on November 11th (the first Friday of Reading Week) and return on the 14th, with the time in between devoted to sight seeing and running the event. The cost of the trip itself is £95, which covers flights, marathon entry, the pre-race meal, and accommodation.

Good luck

Kaitlin Wong, president of UCL RAG Society told The Tab: “It’s a fantastic opportunity to tick something off a bucket list, plus Athens is the birthplace of the marathon so the route is historic and iconic. With full training support and a very cheap registration, it’s an amazing deal that’s only available through UCL RAG students.”

The race itself is considered one of the most challenging courses out of all the major IAAF marathons, with an uphill climb lasting 13 miles. Competitors begin in the town of Marathon, and finish in the Olympic Stadium – mirroring the now legendary run of Pheidippides who supposedly ran between the towns in 490BC before he died from exhaustion.

An information meeting for those considering entering is being held tonight at 6pm in the Gustave Tuck Lecture Theatre.