Macer Gifford to return to fight against Islamic State in Syria

UCLU tried to no-platform him

Macer Gifford, the 28-year-old former city trader and UCL grad who left his job in December 2013, has said that he’ll be returning to the Kurdish People’s Protection Unit to fight against ISIS once more.

Gifford, last year on the frontline

Talking to Sky News, Gifford said he stood “totally behind” the people of Syria wanting them to be “safe and secure” and has previously been critical of Britain’s absence from the conflict.

A former currency trader, Macer spent five months in Northern Syria and told BBC Radio 4 he wanted to “shine a light” on the conflict after being “shocked to the core” by the rise of ISIS and the subsequent lack of reaction from the West.

He told them: “I wanted to shine a light and to show the Kurds aren’t alone. I was ready to die and kill. I knew what I was getting myself into.

“I spent five months there, I saw a great deal of fighting and took part in two large operations. Islamic State shot at me, I shot at them.”

Macer studied at UCL and spent five months in Syria

Macer, a Young Conservative who once stood as a Tory councillor, was at the centre of controversy following the Union’s decision to no-platform him from speaking at an event run by the UCL Kurdish Society.

Macer Gifford

He was banned by Asad Khan,the £25K-a-year Activities and Events Officer.

Asad said the Syrian crisis is a “contentious topic” and defended his decision to block the speaker.

He said: “It is important to note the rooms these activities take place in belong to UCL rather than UCLU and we liaised with UCL, who in turn wanted to seek advice from the police.

“When they didn’t get a reply, to stay on the side of caution, UCL also leant towards not providing a platform.”

Asad Khan

The decision was eventually overturned and Gifford spoke to a packed-out theatre.