We asked Philosophy students the meaning of life

‘Sex and dinner’

Philosophy students take a lot of flack for their choice of degree, often undeservedly. They’ll tell you their degree helps them consider different viewpoints, and make concise arguments.

But do they know what the meaning of life is?

Lauren, fresher

“I think the meaning of life is to be happy and create happiness for others. Also food.”

Yoana, fresher

“To be the best creation of yourself that you can be.”

Ben, second year

“The question presupposes that life has one single meaning, to the contrary I think life is the amalgamation of one’s autonomous desires, fears and experiences, all of which are on a trajectory manipulated by societal influence.”

Diana, fresher

“I’ve come to believe after a personal crisis that it’s meaningless – you create your own meaning.”

Kristen, second year

“Literature, shopping, sex and dinner.”

Kirsty, fresher

(After pondering for a long while) “Who knows.”

Rivkah

“To figure out what the meaning of life is.”

William, fresher year

“Albert Camus said there is no meaning of life – it’s absurd to look for one and you should just get on with your life.”

Hayley, fresher

“To discuss the meaning of life we must first discuss what we mean by ‘meaning’ – whether we are instrumental in constructing our own meaning of life or whether it has been laid out for us. If we were to accept the former then we cannot know whether the external world exists at all and so our influence within it is never certain, thus, to entertain the concept of the meaning of life is unnecessary.”

Katie, second year

“Wine.”