Grad’s party app banned from LSE for being too ‘laddish’

It promises to ‘keep the night flowing’

An Economics grad who started an app where you can find after parties has been told it is “inappropriate”.

Ania Frankowska, who studied at UCL, was told it was “too laddish” and she wouldn’t be able to work with LSE at their Freshers’ Fair.

Party Hype – which says it’ll “keep the night flowing” – was advertised at UCL’s fair, but the catch phrases were branded inappropriate by LSE’s student union and as a result she was unable to advertise at their fair.

LSE told Ania it didn’t “sit with the values” of their “Good Night Out policy”.

This particular image caused offence

Photos of people partying in the clubs from the website were also considered inappropriate and inconsistent with LSE’s work on the effects of “Lad culture”.

The app incorporates aspects of Instagram, Twitter and Tinder to allow you to see what’s happening where, how good places are, and who’s there that catches your eye.

The app was created by Warsaw-born Ania, who’s 25 and now lives in London, and so far it has been very successful.

Ania said: “We have established relations with all Mayfair West end clubs, and some big DJs.

“MR. Saccardo is promoting us, and he has 150k hits on Soundcloud. I’m signing a partnership with two big event organisers and we are now recruiting ambassadors from London universities”

Party Hype CEO and founder, Ania Frankowska

After contacting the LSE union in a bid to advertise at the freshers’ fair, Ania was told: “In the previous 12 months we have concentrated our efforts around campaigns addressing ‘Lad’ culture and its effects.

“The images used within your marketing are not something we feel is consistent with this stance.

“The use of phrases such as ‘catch singles’ and ‘after party anyone?’ in reference to an image of a woman on the floor with closed eyes stand out as particular examples.”

The ‘catch’ feature raised particular alarm

Ania, who quit her job in the city for the party app, added: “It is really discouraging to see someone’s hard work and great idea is being under appreciated, especially by the institution that wants to promote entrepreneurship and talent recognition.”

LSE told The Tab: “To clarify, the app was not ‘banned’ – as a Union we make choices in line with our policies about what commercial outlets we would like to be engaging in our fair which should be a fun, welcoming experiencing.

“The images Party Hype wanted to use were clearly gendered and in line with the research the NUS lad culture audit has conducted, would not have been consistent with our aims around combatting lad culture, which largely arises out of alcohol fuelled environments.”