UCL is the 17th most prestigious uni in the world

And wot?

UCL is the 17th most prestigious university in the world according to Times Higher Education.

Uni wonks at Times Higher Education published the list this week after taking into consideration the opinion of “tens of thousands” of academics.

Despite devastating student satisfaction, the list shows an improvement for UCL, who came 25th last year.

The results reveal UCL’s reputation in fact outstrips its actual overall performance: the university comes 22nd in Times Higher Education’s standard rankings.

The poll represents a coup for UCL against its London rival. The university finishes above nearby nebbish colony, LSE, which come 22nd.

The sweetest news comes from nearby Strand Poly, however. The university, also called Kings College London (apparently), polls at 31st.

Elsewhere, the list makes tough reading for bruised Oxbridge rejects. Cambridge and Oxford come 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Newly merged IOE hang on UCL’s coattails and join us at 17th

Phil Baty, editor of the Times Higher Education Rankings, said: “It must be a concern for the many English regions that so many of our top institutions are concentrated in London and the South East.”