23 of you care about our campus in Qatar

A petition is calling for UCL to sort it out

Revolutionary clipboard-lovers at the union have launched an offensive against UCL’s dodgy Qatar campus…racking up an anaemic total of 23 signatures in the process.

The furious missive calls on uni chiefs to encourage the Qatari government, which has attracted international criticism for its record on LGBT and women’s rights, to beef up its commitment to democracy and safety for workers.

UCL is the first British university to open a campus in the tiny gulf state, which is in the spotlight following its dubious victory of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

23 clicktivists have thrown their mighty weight behind calls for all students at UCL Qatar to have their own union, for UCL bosses to condemn the country’s lack of LGBT+, female and workers’ rights, and for Qatari workers to have the same rights as those in Britain.

UCL currently outsource to the Qatar Foundation, who operate under the Kafala System – a system which has been criticised by human rights organisations for facilitating exploitation of workers.

Following recent news that he makes a cleaner’s yearly salary every 19 days, Provost Michael Arthur said: “It would be inappropriate to conduct a review of the employment arrangements of another organisation.”

P£OVO$T

Qatar has pledged to introduce new labour legislation by “early 2015”.

You can sign the petition here.