Icco Blind Date: Rico and Hafiza

The spark just wasn’t there

Rico is a first year studying Art and Sciences

10606125_10152530099739398_5377256779574615282_n

What’s your perfect date?

We’d go somewhere nice to eat, somewhere interesting. Follow that up with drinks and music and see where it goes from there.

What were your expectations going into this?

I didn’t particularly have any expectations. A blind date is a blind date, there’s no way to know whether or not you’ll find the person interesting or attractive, so you just go with it and see what happens.

What was she like?

She was very sweet girl. Quite a fast paced and talkative type, I can’t think of a time where there was dead air in the conversation. We didn’t have that much in common but it didn’t stop us from talking the entire time.

What did you talk about?

University mostly. We were both quite interested in what the other was studying. She was at SOAS, myself at UCL.

We spoke about what it was like for her to grow up in London and myself in Jamaica and then somehow segwayed into talking about mafia movies which she is obsessed with.

Any awkward moments?

Not that i can think of. It all went swimmingly.

Did you share a kiss at the end?

Nah, we left with a friendly hug and a wave in the distance.

Would you go again?

I think I would definitely do a blind date again. She was a very nice girl, and while there was no spark there, i think it could be a really interesting way to meet someone that you would have a spark with.

Hafiza is a second year from studying History of Art and Archaeology

What’s your perfect date?

Fine dining then a nice stroll along the park people spotting and admiring architecture.

I wasn’t expecting much, I just thought it would be a fun thing to try out.

What was he like?

He was really easy-going and relaxed which was pleasant. He had very varied life experiences so he was interesting to talk to.

What did you talk about?

Him. His academic career, Jamaica, his gap year, his degree, his love for coffee.

Any awkward moments?

None that I know of, though I did only ask his name at the end of the meal.

Good table manners?

Yes, he is a clean eater. Unfortunately I wasn’t – my plate looked like a dog had salvaged everything to pieces.

Did you share a kiss at the end?

Nope. Definitely wasn’t a romantic atmosphere. It felt more like two friends catching up.

Would you go again?

He seems like a lovely person but unfortunately he did only talk about himself the entire evening, which was rather disappointing.

Overall mark? 5/10