Bungling admissions staff send current students, 6th formers, rejects and grads admissions letters in fresh email storm

In case you missed out on that Bellogate thing

Blunder-prone uni staff have sent hundreds of thousands of phoney online registration letters to 6th formers and students at other universities.

Some recipients didn’t apply to UCL, were rejected or have been studying here for years.

The latest cock-up sees whole school years of prospective students receiving UCL Portal registration emails from Admissions – as well as thousands of students in their second and third years.

Students accounts were stuffed with emails from UCL Admissions

Charley Katan, 18, a student at Haberdashers’ Aske’s School in North London said: “Every one in my year who applied has an email.

“It’s a mass error and has given me no further clarity over my future.”

James Vekinis, 21, a 2nd year Medic from Strand Poly, was rejected by UCL two years ago and accepted into Bio-Medicine last year.

He received a whopping four emails this morning:

“They accepted me for Bio-Medicine, got an email for that last night.

“And I was rejected for Medicine as well, but I got that email too.  I got two emails telling me how to activate my account too.”

Students who did not reply to UCL have received offers

The Information Services Desk has told departments to reassure students over emails.

The head of the School of Eastern European and Slavonic Studies this morning sent an email to students saying: ‘We have been advised that some emails have been sent out to existing applicants and may have been received by current students also in error.

“Please disregard this.”

Bella Malins, Director of Access and Admissions, said: “Two hundred thousand students have been emailed this morning.

“They’re still investigating what appears to be a system error.”

When contacted by The Tab, a spokesperson for UCL were oblivious to the scandal. They said: “We haven’t heard of anything, no.”

Another UCL spokesperson later added: “In the meantime, the email server which serves the student information system has been switched off to prevent any more emails being sent.”

This is the second email storm in a term after Bellogate saw some 30,000 receive a message from UCL Provost reading: “bello”.