Moley Day will honour Hockey Star

UCLU Hockey Society are hosting a fundraiser for injured player Michael Cattermole.

1st XI Hockey player Michael Cattermole was involved in a serious diving accident at the turn of the year.  The 22-year-old Civil Engineering student suffered critical neck injuries which resulted in a full loss of mobility below the arms.

‘The devastating news of Moley’s tragic accident this Christmas shocked countless friends and family,’ says 1st XI Vice-Captain, Ciaran Kelly. ‘It provided us with the stark and humbling reminder that life is fragile.’  In Mike’s honour, UCLU Hockey are hosting Moley Day.  The society have united together to raise money that will contribute towards making Mike’s life easier and more enjoyable, whilst optimising his chance of a full recovery.

The event will take place on Sunday 17th of March at Old Cranleighan Hockey Club (Thames Ditton, Surrey) from one o’clock onwards.  On the day, the ladies will be competing in the LUSL Cup Final and the men will play a high-profile invitational XI from across the South. There will be a barbecue and a bar with entertainment including live music and a raffle – a signed Kenny Dalglish t-shirt is one of the main prizes. Students, friends and family are all welcome.

Various figures within the Hockey society speak favourably of Moley.  Kelly is impressed by Mike’s strength and effervescence – ‘his resilience and determination to rejuvenate this situation characterises Michael as a person’ – and President Chris Bentley is ‘astounded’ by Mike’s response to the injury, noting ‘[he] has reacted to his injury with unrivaled determination to make something of the situation.’ Joe Melly, 1st XI Captain, echoes these sentiments: ‘his courage and determination to overcome his condition whilst retaining his infectious positivity and sense of humour is inspiring. A man of principle and modest of his talents, Michael is an extremely popular member of the University College community. Responsibility now lies in our hands to ensure his continued resilience and strength moving forwards.’

In the past, Mike has tried to persuade UCLU Hockey to organise a sports night in recognition of his sterling contributions to the society.  However, owing to his notorious drinking antics and reputation as a silver-tongued ladies’ man, these proposals were often refuted in order ‘to ensure the safety of all’ .

Mike is delighted that the society will finally be holding an event in his name: ‘I’m deeply humbled. I mainly just want to say thank you. Whether it’s coming in and keeping me company in the hospital one evening or with the fundraiser this weekend, it’s all much appreciated. It’s really shown what great friends I have. I’m actually really looking forward to the Sunday – not just to see everyone, but the hockey should be of great calibre too.’

Mike has paralympic aspirations, as well as hopes of eventually making a full recovery. His likable demeanour exacerbates the tragedy surrounding the incident, whilst the courageous manner in which he is dealing with the situation is an outstanding exemplar of bravery for all UCL students.   Mike is not only deserving of UCLU Hockey’s support, but the support of the university as a whole.  ‘

Log-in to buy £7 student tickets, otherwise the regular price is £15.  All proceeds go straight to Mike. For more information on ‘Moley Day’, follow the link: https://uclu.org/whats-on/clubs-societies/hockey-womens-club-moley-day