Hunk Food – Burgers

Don’t like horse meat? Better make them yourself.

We all love a burger. But while places like GBK and Byron offer you some pretty amazing burgers, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as making one from scratch for a fraction of the price. Being the master of your own burger lets you decide whether or not you actually want pickle, whether you want more chips (let’s face it, restaurants can be stingy), and whether or not you even want a bun. The method is essentially the same as making kebabs, but with different mince and a different shape (although you could always make turkey burgers and beef kebabs and be mind blown).  If you’re feeling super healthy, feel free to go for the skinny burger- no bun but still all the bits you’d get inside. Or if you don’t like buns, go rustic like I have and get some ciabatta (£1.20 for a loaf).

Cooking your own burger also means that you don’t have to accidentally eat horse. Always a bonus.

You will need:

–          1 pack beef mince (makes about four pretty huge burgers)

–          2 onions (one red one white)

–          Salt and pepper

–          Chilli flakes (if you’re feeling daring)

–          Dried herbs

–          1 egg

–          If you want chips: 1 large potato (How’s about this for a top tip: why not try making chips out of sweet potatoes? They arguably taste better, are better for blood sugar and are weirdly high in vitamin C.)

–          Lettuce/peas/veggies

–          Few slices of cheese

–          Ciabatta roll/sesame bun

How to make:

1. Empty out the pack of mince into a bowl, and add one onion finely chopped, the salt and pepper, herbs and chilli. Mix about with your fingers, and add the egg to bring your mince together.
  2. Prick and wash the potato and stick in the microwave for 4 minutes. Turn on your oven to a high heat.
  3. Make burger shapes with your mixture. Set them down and rub the top side with some oil- this will stop you putting too much/ not enough oil in the pan.
  4. Fry each burger. Make sure the heat’s not on too high; this will stop the bottom from burning before it’s cooked all the way through.
  5. Cut up your potato into chip shapes, sprinkle over salt, pepper and herbs and oven bake.
  6. Turn over your burgers once the underside goes a nice cooked burger colour. They should take roughly twenty minutes over all.
  7. Put your roll/ciabatta in the oven for a few minutes to heat up. When your burgers are done, put a few slices of cheese on top and swap them in the oven with your bun so the cheese can melt.
  8. Pile up your burger with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions, and take out your burger and squash in.

If you’re looking for something inventive to do with your leftover burgers, crumble them up and add to a jar of pasta sauce and a fried onion, and hey presto, you’ve got yourself a jazzy Bolognese-esque pasta sauce!