Back in the Game: Men’s Rugby Re-instated

Rugby lads win appeal to begin playing again.

| UPDATED Elliot Mills naught sports students Nuts Phineas Bar Richard Taylor rugby rugby lads sexual harrassment UCL Men's Rugby Club UCLU UCLU Bars UCLU Men's Rugby Zoo

UCLU Men’s Rugby rejoiced on Friday as UCLU declared that the club would be re-affiliated.

The announcement came after the club underwent a disciplinary hearing, concerning a “harassment of a sexual nature” claim brought against them.

The boys were happy

Copies of Zoo and Nuts magazines were  left around Phineas Bar during Sports Night, which resulted in various members of Phineas Bar staff to complain to UCLU.

Re-affiliation was confirmed after what was allegedly a botched appeal process, where the club was cleared of the complaint due to a fault in the disciplinary board’s actions.

Rugby Alumnus Richard Taylor celebrating the club’s re-affiliation on Twitter

However, the Union has placed harsh conditions onto the controversial club’s return to respectability.

The club’s activities will be limited to training, matches, charitable events and receiving sports colours. However they have been banned from attending the annual Sports Ball at the end of the year, a stalwart for the UCL sporting community.

Men’s Rugby are also banished from all Union bars until further notice.

In another blow, UCLU has also insisted that the current committee resign, pending an EGM to elect new governing members.

Hooker for the Firsts team, Elliot Mills, told The Tab that he was “elated” with the outcome of the appeal, but still felt “hard done by and offended” by the process which handled the complaint.

The Tab attempted to contact UCLU over weekend to gain their perspective but at time of publication, our emails had not been responded to.

UCLU Democracy and Communications Officer Sam Gaus wishes to point out that a comment posted below with his name attributed to it was not actually posted by him. This comment has therefore been deleted.