SSEES Top LUSL Premier Division

SSEES’ season looking rosy after two more convincing wins

| UPDATED Filippo Casoni football london Myles Pyne SSESS St. Georges ucl UCLU

SSEES have asserted their place amongst the upper echelons of the London sides with two more convincing wins this week. Last Wednesday, the team trekked to Imperial Fields near Morden. It was the first time this season the team had played under flood lights and also the first time they had played on a 3G surface.

Understandably, it was a slow start from the Red Army with St. George’s 2nds looking to get their season underway after consecutive defeats in a row. The deadlock however was broken about 15 minutes in when Myles Pyne latched onto a ball ricocheting in the box to smash home. SSEES had more to cheer about when Filippo Casoni burst through before lifting it over the opposing back four to find Pyne, who coolly slotted home his second.

It was looking like another comfortable three points for SSEES and more goals were to be had in the second period. Immediately from kick off, Sammy Kempner tried a routine that had failed him many a time before; receiving the ball inside the centre circle he instantly pinged it to the right corner in an attempt to catch the left back cold.

This time it worked as Pyne took the ball down before curling it into the far corner from just outside the box. It completed his first ever hat trick for SSEES and any worries about a St. George’s fight back were quashed. Jonny Wong came on to score SSEES’ fourth after some poor defending in the box and Pyne rounded off a good day for himself and SSEES all round by stretching his legs to get to the ball just before the ‘keeper and send the ball trickling over the line.

Four days later and having recovered from a rough night at the beloved Roxy, SSEES were up against a proper UCL team for the first time this season. It was the 4ths and on a cold day at Shenley, SSEES were looking to prove a point to the traditional establishment.

It started badly however, as UCL 4ths took the lead after some poor defending after a corner. The ball was slotted beyond new ‘keeper Ross Thursby who has been an inspirational coup, having been convinced to leave the UCL team with the lure of classic banter and grimy nights out.

SSEES went into the break with their heads down, playing the role of underdogs aptly. The second half was an entirely different game, with SSEES coming out fighting like pit bulls. They piled on the pressure against a team who did not look comfortable, nor happy, being 1-0 up and eventually captain Matt Thomas squeezed home the equaliser. The momentum was with only one team now.

SSEES got their noses in front when Casoni smashed home from inside the 6-yard box before Jonny Wong found winger Pyne to make the game safe with an easy tap-in. With UCL overextending themselves, SSEES pounced on the break with Casoni getting his sixth goal of the season by finishing with unerring confidence. The ref blew early to spare some more blushes and SSEES went marching on for their 5th win thus far.