Autumnal Alumni Fashion

Style inspiration from some of UCL’s famous names

alumni autumnal alumni fashion Chris Martin jonathan ross katrina russell London Tab Fashion paula rego professor heinz wolff rabindranath tagore ricky gervais

Sometimes we’re so busy emulating the great academics of UCL – Robert Browning, Stella Gibbons, Alexander Graham Bell, to name a few – that we overlook the potential style inspiration waiting to be taken from the accomplished names among our alumni.

When intimidated by the standards set by Francis Crick and Christopher Nolan, why not channel your intellectual insecurities into the equally relevant field of their wardrobes?

Timeless style: Ricky Gervais in 1983, his last year at UCL. American Apparel, dangerously within walking distance of the UCL campus, offers the Unisex Sheer Jersey Scarf in white, £15, while Primark (also now nearer than it should be) is abundant in white t shirts around the £2 mark. Tuck your shirt into your high waisted trousers, roll up your sleeves and you can recreate the look in your lunch break.

Chris Martin 

Martin’s military jackets bring the Sergeant Pepper look to the 21st century, and with a trip to Zara, you can do the same in your halls for under £70.

Ignore the wet bread music and focus on the popstar militancy exuded by Martin as he throws his shapes (above).

Wool military jacket with gold piping, Zara, £69.99

Ricky Gervais and Jonathan Ross

This time modelling the burgundy suit, manifold style icon Gervais and fellow UCL graduate/ comedian/fashionista Jonathan Ross.

Get your own berry blazer from Miss Selfridge, £32 (left), or River Island Men, £60 (right).

Rabindranath Tagore, forerunner of both Bengali political poetry and the maxi length.

When Tagore lamented the interference of purity with vain ‘ornaments,’ he clearly wasn’t thinking of the British winter climate. A new maxi dress is the perfect way to reward your intellectual self-enhancement, while at the same time keeping legs shielded from the cold.

Left – Urban Outfitters, Sparkle & Fade maxi dress, £30
Right – Mango, Denim maxi skirt (online only), £29.99

Artist Paula Rego has an enviable wardrobe herself. The fantastical style of her often psychotic damsels complements this winter’s gothic romanticism perfectly. Just layer a simple black body or vest with a classic chiffon skirt for a beguiling day-to-night look.

Left – American Apparel, £46
Right – Miss Selfrdige, £14

Professor Heinz Wolff, BSc Physiology and Physics

When seeking innovation and inspiration, take it from the man who invented the term ‘bioengineering,’ as well as a new standard in sassy neckwear.

Bow Ties – Rokit, £9 each

Remember to keep a balance between imitation and creation, and maybe one day you’ll be as style-setting a UCL graduate as Ricky Gervais.