PUT OUT YOUR RED LIGHT- STUDENT ‘PIMPS AND HOES’ PARTY CRITICISED

The latest student pub-crawl controversy erupted in Liverpool this week after a planned ‘pimps and hoes’ event was criticised by local politicians. The pub crawl was organised by the controversial party […]

Students like these are drawing the ire of our politicians

The latest student pub-crawl controversy erupted in Liverpool this week after a planned ‘pimps and hoes’ event was criticised by local politicians.

The pub crawl was organised by the controversial party organisers Carnage UK who have hit the headlines for a series of boozy bar hops in cities across Britain.

This year’s event will be the sixth time since 2003 that a ‘pimps and hoes’ event has been held in Liverpool but on this occasion it has drawn the ire of the 32 female Labour councillors in the city.

Councillor Rachel O’Byrne said that the event “perpetuates the objectification and exploitation of women” and has called for businesses to steer clear.

Pulling ‘5 randoms’ is the aim of the game.

Carnage meanwhile have claimed that the pub-crawl will benefit businesses, and are planning a number of similar events in the coming weeks.

They hit the headlines in 2009 after being banned by a number of universities following an incident where Sheffield Hallam student Philip Laing was photographed urinating on a war memorial.

The event isn’t the first student pub crawl to hit the headlines for attracting controversy with Carnage’s ‘pimps and hoes’ event in Sheffield last week being slammed by a local MP.

Not all politicians can claim the moral high ground though. Just two weeks ago Northern Ireland political party the SDLP hastily scrapped a student pub crawl at Queen’s University Belfast after it emerged that they had campaigned to ban the same type of drinks offers available at the event.

According to Carnage UK’s website no events are currently planned for London, meaning one less potential problem for UCL. However carnage of another sort is never far away on Sports Night.