UCLU MEN’S FOOTBALL: SEASON PREVIEW

So how is UCLU Men’s Football looking for this season?

London Tab Sport UCLU Mens Football

With the season fast approaching for UCL men’s football The Tab takes a look at their hopes and prospects for the coming year.

It was a tricky year for 7 of the UCL teams last season but in spite of it all the firsts managed a heroic victory against Imperial the ULU Cup. The fifth team also saw silverware come their way, picking up the league title and winning the shield.

This season sees the top four teams competing in the BUCS league, with the firsts in the 2nd division for an eagerly anticipated campaign.

As always at the start of a new university year the teams take on a slightly different make-up, with notable players Chris Michael, James Cottam and Grant Carlisle no longer playing. On the plus side however returning key players such as James Greatorex and Christophe Scholer mean that there is a degree of consistency.

As always the Imperial and Kings’ rivalries are eagerly anticipated in the season ahead, with a meeting with the Strand Poly in the league preceding the official varsity game. Promotion for the top 4 teams from their respective leagues would be regarded as a successful season.

Off the pitch there is a desire for more social activities, with the Wednesday sports nights set to become an obligation for all members of the society. It’s hoped that this will combine well with social events planned alongside women’s football and netball, such as a Hallowe’en Party and “The roXy Factor”. An end of season trip to Bulgaria is also planned, along with a volunteering trip and a visit to Paris for an international tournament in February.

With 358 freshers signing up at the Fresher’s Fair last week hopes are high of a new group of talented players breaking through into the sides. If they can replicate at least some of their trophy successes from last season as well as achieving their aim of promotions for the top 4 sides then the difficult campaigns of last year will soon be forgotten.