Who’s Your Daddy?

UCL students top a different kind of league table

gowerbuzz

It’s usually a matter of pride when UCL makes the top ten in the league tables. However there are some statistics that we’d rather sweep under the portico.

In a recent table, originally published in the Daily Mail, UCL ranked 9th for the most amount of students registered on SeekingArrangement.com, a website that matches male and female students with older men and woman or ‘sugar daddies’.

According to seekingarrangement.com, a ‘sugar daddy’ is “a successful and generous man who is willing to pamper and offer financial help or gifts to a young person in return for friendship and companionship.”

The offer seems to be an enticing way for students to make some extra cash and perhaps meet their future soul-mate. Or at least, their future bank account. 

UCL has 33 students signed up to the site, a tell tale sign of the expensive London lifestyle and the price of rising university fees.

Overall, London had eight universities in the league table, with the London School of Economics coming third on the list with 51 students registered on the website. The University of Nottingham topped the list, with 61 students registered with the site.

Charlotte Bowers, a first year Spanish student is frustrated with the fact that these are the methods students are turning to, to support themselves through their degree. “Obviously the increase in fees next year is playing on people’s mind and that might be the only way that people can think of to get out of it.”

“It’s making it ok to be in a relationship where there’s ulterior motives and not to just be happy with somebody. “