Rugby Men’s Firsts Fall at the Final Hurdle

The Buzz takes a glance at a largely successful season for our Men’s Firsts which unfortunately ended in disappointment.

bucs king's rugby UCLU varsity

If you heard that UCL were unbeaten for the entire season bar the final three matches, you would have surely reckoned that promotion from the BUCS Division 2 was a near certainty.

Well I would have anyway… But it wasn’t to be, as our boys were pipped to it at the last.

And if the fact that it was a team from King’s who won promotion makes the situation seem bad, it is only worsened by the news that it was their medics who achieved this success.

This low, however, was accompanied by many highs in a season which looked so promising for so long. Top scorer Ollie Marshall had a sensational year scoring a huge 25 tries, with Haris Ismail and Julius McGillivray both notching an impressive 14 each.

And who could forget that night in Twickenham in early March, where both our Women’s and Men’s First’s dominated Strand Poly in consecutive matches? The evening showed their institution to now be average in every sense of the word.

The victory was also an indication that promotion was deserved but not obtained, and Firsts captain Jack Tredrea contributed the substantial list of injuries as well as the increasing workload as factors which hindered his side’s progression into the BUCS first division.

Promotion will just have to wait until next season!