Finding God…Through your Stomach

religion through food

gowerbuzz

For many, April is a time of discovering new ways to avoid revising and tanning in the weak British sun. But for some, the despair of having to cram a whole year’s worth of knowledge into a study time table may result in the desire to seek comfort from ‘higher powers.’ Discovering faith these days is a complex business. To make your lives easier, The Buzz has compiled a showcase of different religious to hop on board with this month, in the most rational way possible: through food.

Baisakhi Festival, Sikhism, 13th April

The Sikh Harvest Festival, Biasakhi is a time of celebration, dancing and the commemoration of the establishment of the pure order of the Sikhs, Foods of the harvest are traditional which means a delish menu of sweet, vegetable and occasional meat dishes are abundant during this festival.

Our Favourite: Coconut Ladoo

Who doesn’t like coconut? Who doesn’t like coconut shaped spheres? A combination of sugar, condensed milk, semolina (flour with a fancy name) and coconut, these balls of sugary goodness will have you dancing up a storm in Trafalgar Square, when London celebrates the Baisakhi Festival in May.

Join if: you have no nut allergies, are vegetarian, feel like life is one big party.

Passover: Judaism 6-13th April 

Passover has its own holy meal called a Seder, which commemorates the story of the Exodus in the Torah (bible), with its own symbolic food such as eggs, herbs dipped in salt water and matza ball soup. Passover lasts for seven days, during which it is prohibited to eat anything leavened e.g. wheat, yeast, barley, beer etc.

Our Favourite: Matza

The one, the only unleavened bread, Matza is a Passover staple. It symbolizes how the Israelites, in a rush to leave Egypt, didn’t have time for their bread to rise. The jewish people have been put through a week of constipation ever since. Matza is made out of flour and water and has the texture of a stale cracker. Taste is left to be desired when eaten on it’s own, however with the right dip, spread or topping, Matza can prove to be…bearable, for the 7 days (don’t put Marmite on it though, that would be a bad).

Join If: you enjoy tradition, are trying to steer clear of carbs.

Easter: Christianity, 6-8th April

Easter celebrates the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, which always brings out an appetite. Probably the most commercialized holiday of the bunch, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Easter food consists of Cadbury Cream Eggs and over priced Kinder Surprises. 

Our Favourite: Hot Cross Buns

When it comes to commemorating holy days. hot cross buns are a Good Friday necessity. The tradition was taken from pagans, who thought the bun symbolized the four seasons of the year. Christians adapted it and it came to symbolize the crucifixion of Christ, hence their serving on Good Friday. Superstition suggests that hot cross buns shared between two will guarantee an enduring friendship throughout the year ahead so go buy a bag of six and find yourself with the perfect excuse to finally introduce yourself to your neighbour.

Join if: you like sweet foods, are a bit mainstream.

L Ron Hubbard Exhibition Day: Scientology, April 20th

This holiday celebrated by some Scientolgists, marks the opening of an exhibition on Scientology founder L Ron Hubbard's life in Los Angeles in 1991. No I'm not joking. 

Whilst as far as I can gather there are no foods traditionally associated with the holiday, I'm sure if you had a wander into their shop on Tottenham Court Road they could give you some more details. Or at least, a personality test. 

Join if: you fancy a trip to L.A; consider yourself a modern thinker. 

So if you feel a need to find a deeper meaning this April, go with your gut and suss out the faith that sounds the most scrumptious.