How Has Your Style Changed Since You Came To Uni?

Maybe it’s a pair of brightly coloured leggings, an abundance of onesies or just a pair of shoes you wouldn’t have bought last year. Whatever it is, it marks a change in your personal style and this change probably began in the time since you came to uni.

changing style Fashion student trends

The sound of doors opening and closing alerts you to the fact that other, more sensible people are leaving for the morning’s lectures. But as you stare into the abyss that is your wardrobe, you realise the same thing that you realise every day. You have nothing to wear. This is your everyday morning challenge. Your mountain to climb. But not just any mountain. Your Everest.

Among the jeans and the t-shirts, which all look disturbingly the same considering you have so many of them, your eyes land on a relatively new item. A few months ago you wouldn’t have bought it. You would have said that it wasn’t really you. Yet now you reach for it, glad that you can defeat your nemesis laundry for another day. That wily bastard.

So why now? What is it about being away from home, away from the people you went to high school with that’s affected your style? I would normally say that it’s because you’re away from the soul-sucking vortex that is high school, but if you know me, you know I like to keep things light. Where was I? Oh yeah, things are different at uni.

There aren’t just more people around, there’s more variety when it comes to personal style. Seeing different looks around UCL and Camden may just encourage you to buy that dress you like but think is maybe too much. I’m talking to you fellas.

So the next time you see someone strolling around in harem pants, instead of asking them if they’re auditioning for the sequel to Eat Pray Love, tell them “you’re welcome”, because we all helped make this behaviour acceptable.

Pictures from Retro Space