There’s no place like home; Staycation 2012

This summer looks like the perfect time for a Great British ‘staycation’. Georgie Coupe explains why.

2012 Features Holidays summer

The Easter Holidays are drawing close and now is the time to plan those extravagant 8 week trips to Southeast Asia. Although the £1200 seems expensive it’ll definitely be worth it. Or maybe not. This summer looks like the perfect time for a Great British ‘staycation’. There’s a lot to do and you’ll save a bit of cash too. Georgie Coupe explains why.

The government has released a ‘staycation’ campaign encouraging us to holiday here. But what is really worth staying for, apart from Rupert Grint in a wetsuit on a beach in Cornwall. Check out the ad at the top.

This summer the Olympics will arrive in London. It will bring with it thousands of slow walking tourists, traffic and utter chaos. An exciting once in a lifetime opportunity to experience the games yet it isn’t surprising why us Brits, especially Londoners, want to escape the chaos as the world descends on London. So what else does London have to offer this summer?

First, we should all make use of the four-day bank holiday marking the beginning of most of our summer breaks. ‘The Big Lunch’ on Sunday 3rd June could be the last chance to get all your Uni friends together and buy some bunting before everyone returns home for the summer. The perfect excuse to eat a lot of cake and get into the community spirit. 

Popular tourist destinations are taking part in the 20.12% discounts in an attempt to draw us in. Admittedly a lot of events would be perfect if you were married with 3 kids. There are offers, however, which can tempt students.

Discounts on theatre tickets as well as restaurant deals are available to enjoy during the long summer days. Train and bus companies are participating making it easier to get around. The London 2012 Festival runs from the 21st June – 9th September filling London with cultural events from dancing, film and art to carnivals and most importantly food. Another bonus is that a majority of these events are free, cultural and fun for no cost. 

It is also possible to enjoy the Olympics without an official ticket eating into your overdraft. London Live is hosting a series of events to keep us occupied. Victoria Park and Hyde Park will have enormous screens broadcasting the games along with live music and food.  Blur have recently confirmed that they are headlining the Olympics closing event in Hyde Park, surely an unmissable gig.  

There has never been a more thrilling time to be in England, the hubbub of the Olympics and the Queen’s diamond jubilee are going to provide a diverse range of events and activities that we can enjoy at little cost making students spoilt for choice in London and around the UK.