Prepped for Lectures: Stereotype that Pencil Case.

An in-depth psychological analysis of what your pencil case choice says about you. Next time you’re in a lecture, cast an eye down the desk and look into the minds of your fellow students…

Prepped for Lectures Stereotype that Pencil Case

Buying stationery should be one of life’s little joys. You can’t feel guilty about the purchase of a new highlighter because it’s a necessity. Ryman’s pencil selection looks a bit like Woolworths’ pic n’ mix but without the risk of tooth rot.

But your choice of pencil tin can reveal a lot more than simply a passion for clicky pens. In fact, pencil tins can give a unique glimpse into the soul of a person. Below is an in-depth psychological analysis of what your pencil case choice says about you. Next time you’re in a lecture, cast an eye down the desk and look into the minds of your fellow students…

Plastic wallet: The owner is already in exam mode. A calculator with no back occupies the majority of the space inside but there’s room for a back up of everything: Two biros, two pencils etc. in case one breaks. Plus a good luck card from his mum.

Hello Kitty/Other themed merchandise: The pencil case is in meticulous condition and everything matches. The rubber has a positive message on it like Achieve Your Dreams Today or Sunshine Over Stars!!! Hello Kitty’s positive outlook brings joy and organization to the holder. There’s likely to be a tip-ex mouse in here to unite the owner’s love of cute things and anally neat work.

Leather pocket: We all need something to put our pencils in, why not go for something really stylish and expensive-looking? Holds all of about three pencils, so the ruler, rubber and anything else vaguely useful have to be carried. Inconvenient; some might say style over substance. Don’t borrow his notes because they’ll probably be shit.

Handful of Pencils: Maybe with an elastic band around them, but probably not. This person doesn’t own a case, he’s a free agent. All his pens are freebies from hospital waiting rooms or fresher’s week. They are left to roll around in the bottom of his bag and bleed onto his homework but that’s cool.

No Pencils: You lent him a pen last week, and the week before that, and you’ll lend him one again. He also doesn’t have the lecture notes and although you’re approaching the end of second term he still has trouble finding the room. Seemingly uncommitted to the ‘work’ side of uni life, nonetheless manages to make incisive comments when picked on by the seminar leader.

Ipad: Moving into a paperless era, this student is ahead of the game. Who needs pens when you can type it all up on this handy all-in-one gizmo device? And look at the stylish magnetic case that protects the screen and then becomes a little prop so your wrists don’t get tired.