UCL Firsts Suffer Varsity Hangover

A depleted UCL squad failed to overcome a RUMS Firsts to suffer only their second defeat of the season.

rugby RUMS ucl

RUMS Rugby Men’s Firsts 12-8 UCL Men’s Firsts

A depleted UCL squad failed to overcome RUMS Firsts on Wednesday as they endured their second defeat of the season. Due to an unfortunate amount of work assignments for many of the first team players, the remaining squad struggled against a strong RUMS’ line up.

Despite the loss, UCL’s forwards played well after initially being dominated by RUMS' powerful scrumming unit, and further improved as the game played out.

Perhaps the biggest positive taken from the match was yet another try by top scorer Oliver Marshall. The flying winger’s form this season has been nothing short of remarkable, notching up a tally of 24 tries and being a key factor in UCL’s push for promotion.

However, the game was characterized by RUMS’ efficient line running in the middle of the park and capitalizing on one of UCL’s less impressive defensive displays in terms of tackling. UCL were also left feeling bereaved by the referee, who frustrated both sides at times with his decision making.

But Captain Jack Tredrea said of the match, “To be honest, we didn’t play well enough. It now leaves us with two games left, both of which are absolute must wins in term of promotion.”

Tredrea’s side are also looking for success in the league cup too, as they prepare for their Semi-Final next Saturday.