Preview – Delirium: No One Is Immune

Kris Lavin takes a look at the UCLU Dance Society’s upcoming show: Delirium.

bloomsbury theatre Delirium uclu dance society

The world is in a state of emergency. Major transport and communication links have been severed and entire cities have ground to a halt. Emergency news bulletins flash across the TVs of the uninfected, issuing instructions for survival.

Yawn. What's the deal this time? Zombies? The rage virus? Swine Flu? Wait, what? Everybody's uncontrollably dancing and nobody can stop?! Now that's a premise!

That's right. The UCLU Dance Society's 26th annual show at the Bloomsbury presents a scenario where dance has taken the world by the scruff of the neck and refuses to let go. Delirium will feature 19 choreographed dances from a whole range of styles as the audience is taken on an intercontinental voyage of post-apocalyptic discovery.

Last year's show – Spotlight – won an award for being the Bloomsbury's best show of 2011, but assistant director Glennis LaRoe is confident that Delirium will be able to live up to the high standard that the Dance Society has set in the past:

“We’ve gone above and beyond previous years’ aspects of the shows, including a strong narrative and powerful video interludes, which are sure to blow the audiences’ minds”.

The question is, do the infected want to be cured? Will they grow to embrace their permanent state of personal expression? Is tap dancing better than talking? Is salsa better than singing?

Delirium definitely seems to be an interesting new take on a format which has been tried and tested pretty thoroughly of late. Buy your tickets now!

Venue: The Bloomsbury Theatre
Performances: Thursday March 8th – Saturday 10th March at 7.30pm
Tickets: £10, £8 concessions, £5 UCL. Book tickets from http://www.thebloomsbury.com/event/run/1648 or call the box office on 020 7388 8822