UCL Women’s Hockey Firsts Thrash RUMS

After narrowly losing 2-1 to RUMS in the previous league match but winning every other league game, UCL Women’s 1sts needed to win with a 2 goal margin to get one step closer to being crowned League champions in the biggest BUCS league game of UCL’s season.

BUCS League hockey RUMS Women's Hockey 1st

After narrowly losing 2-1 to RUMS in the previous league match but winning every other league game, UCL needed to win with a 2 goal margin to get one step closer to being crowned League champions. 

It took UCL a while to adapt to RUMS’ dry, bouncy and bizarre playing surface, which was shown by RUMS managing to bobble a goal past the UCL defence in the first 15 minutes. This lead did not last long though and some excellent play between UCL’s midfield presented Lucy ‘Boho’ Bohoslawec with a one-on-one goal scoring opportunity. UCL’s top goal scorer glided around the goalkeeper and easily slotted home to make it 1-1.

For the rest of the first half, UCL were on top of the game. RUMS defended well and saw off several threatening UCL attacking moves.

After the break, UCL continued to dominate in possession with some excellent midfield play by fresher Bella de Pedro, Sam Page and Sophie Ingleby. A goal was imminent and the opportunity arose when Boho pounced on the rebound from Bella de Pedro’s shot from a short corner.

After the goal, the pressure on RUMS was once again too much and UCL were awarded another penalty corner as Hannah Wright was fouled inside the penalty circle. A great injection of speed from defender Priya Kumar resulted in Lucy Boho gaining a hat-trick from a fantastic strike. UCL were ecstatic, with the score at 3-1, this was sufficient to put them ahead of close-rivals RUMS in the fight for the league title.

There were still 20 minutes to go in the game and UCL needed to retain the two-goal advantage. With the mentality of ‘the best form of defence is attack’, UCL’s play was gathering relentless momentum. Alice ‘Lemsip’ Lemkes drove with pace at the RUMS defence, by-passing two defenders and provided Boho with a goal opportunity she would never miss.

A late spur of energy from RUMS resulted in a penalty corner for the home side, which came to nothing. Another attacking opportunity arose for RUMS which was dealt with by a back-heel from UCL’s goalkeeper, Katie ‘Team USA’ Shea. Quick on the counterattack, UCL were awarded with another penalty corner after some desperate RUMS defending. Sophie Gordon, who defended outstandingly throughout the match, used this opportunity to smash home from close range UCL’s fifth goal and the last of the match.

This was a well-deserved victory for a talented UCL 1st XI, placing them top of the league table. UCL will go ahead with confidence high before they face Imperial in the BUCS Cup Semi-Finals next Wednesday.