This Weekend’s Paralympic Sports Taster Day

The low down on the Paralympic Sports Taster Day this weekend in Kentish Town, organised by our very own student union and UCL.

olympics Paralympics sports taster day ucl UCLU

It’s not long until the Olympic torch will pass through Camden and along the Thames to the Olympic Park! With less than 150 days until the Olympic and Paralympic games more and more hype is gradually building. But what has been happening close by us? At UCL and UCLU several Olympics-inspired events have already cropped up including UCLU Netball’s Olympics-themed inter-club netball tournament. But what about the Paralympics? Always with a slightly lower profile than the Olympic games one may not know that the Paralympics were first establish right here, in London!

This Saturday, 10th March, UCL and UCLU have organised a Paralympic Sports Taster Day in order that UCL students, staff, and other members of the community can experience playing Paralympic sports themselves. The event is completely open to all. You don’t have to be disabled to play a parasport! The sports on offer are variations on the popular sports basketball and volleyball; wheelchair basketball and sitting volleyball. These sports are both fun and challenging. Think you can shoot a basket from the perfect angle in a wheelchair? Ever thought how hard volleyball might be when you can’t take your buttocks off the floor?

The day is being run by Aspire who run parasports taster events often for businesses and high schools. They promise to deliver a great day of coaching with their 4 highly experienced and qualified instructors. UCL student volunteers will be aiding them to coach the sports at the event following a training session they will have earlier on in the day.

Come along if you are interested in meeting new people, curious about parasports and, especially if you would like to volunteer at the event, want to develop skills in sports coaching and management.

The details broken down…
When: THIS SATURDAY 10TH MARCH
Where: TALACRE COMMUNITY SPORTS CENTRE, DALBY STREET,

(NEXT TO KENTISH TOWN WEST OVERGROUND STATION, KENTISH TOWN)

For all abilities, whether abled or disabled.

Sessions:
2.30-3.30pm
3.30-4.30pm
4.30-5.30pm

Booking a place:
You can turn up on the day, however to ensure you have a space for the session you want please email [email protected] with your name, the number of people you are bringing with you and which one hour session you would like to attend. If you would like to volunteer at the event please email the same address with your name and number.

You can also find the event on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/events/316149758441341/

See you there!