SSEES 2’s hold out

SSEES AFC 2s took a massive stride to promotion from ULU Division 4 after surviving a late BBP Law comeback to take a brave and morally deserved victory

BOB KARUN BPP KANE MAZRANI POURRINET SOLDIN SSEES

BPP Law 1 1-2 SSEES AFC 2

SSEES AFC 2s took a massive stride to promotion from ULU Division 4 after surviving a late BBP Law comeback to take a brave and deserved victory.

It says much about the rapport of the Red Army that away from home, SSEES had greater support on the touchline than the home side. With that support ringing in their ears, every player worked their socks off to ensure a victory that kept their season alive.

Player for player, it was always going to be difficult. BBP Law were big, physical and had pace to burn. With this in mind, SSEES skipper Andy Kane went for his strongest possible line up to take the game to the favourites.

And BBP had no answer to SSEES’s quick and direct attacking play. Having already threatened, French darling Val Pourrinet latched on to a Bob Karun flick on and was felled in the box. Ex-Stade Rennais prospect Arman Soldin picked himself up and calmly stroked the penalty home.

BPP were rocked and SSEES took full advantage. A poor goalkeeping clearance was gleefully intercepted by Pourrinet and the striker thumped home an excellent finish across the face of goal. This was proving to be far easier than anyone had expected.

The rest of the half was a scrappy affair, with minor melees and square ups marring what had been up until that point a good football match.

The second half however, saw a complete change. BPP came out fired up and ripped into SSEES time and time again. Intelligently, the Lawyers sensed SSEES’s weaknesses: in the air and on high balls. As well as the SSEES defence had played, tired legs began to see a few openings offered to the Drogba-esque figure playing up top for BPP.

A series of near-misses arrived, particularly from corners, before a quick one two exposed a gap in SSEES’s backline and BPP were back in it.

Skipper KANE made a few tactical substitutions to shore up the middle of the mark and SSEES did appear to stabilise.

The momentum however was clearly with BPP and as the game wore on it was becoming more evident that tired SSEES legs would offer chances to the opposition. However, the battling spirit of the Red Army has never been in doubt and they manfully held on until a floodlight failure brought a premature end to the match, but too late into it to deny SSEES a deserved victory to keep their promotion hopes alive.