SSEES Stroll to Victory

The Red Army battled to an emphatic win against an Imperial 4ths side challenging for the ULU title on Wednesday, ensuring their good start to 2012 continued with a 4-0 win.

football SSEES

The Red Army battled to an emphatic win against an Imperial side challenging for the ULU title on Wednesday, ensuring their good start to 2012 continues.

It was in the reverse fixture in November that SSEES started to turn a corner, transforming themselves from the disorganised outfit of the early season into the tight team of today. Imperial could find no answer against the spirited attacking and committed defending of this tight side, showing how far they have come.

Playing into a gale force wind, SSEES took the lead with 20 minutes gone, Alex “THOR” Goring capitalising on some poor defending to slot past the goalkeeper. Imperial struggled to regain a presence in the game, the conditions and some organised defending meaning none of their hopeful through balls provided a clear opening. Goring was then able to steal another goal ten minutes later after a scramble in the area – a just reward for SSEES's dangerous forward play.

The back four were rarely threatened and, whilst staying menacing going forward, SSEES managed to keep their feet on the ground to close out the half very much on top.

The second half was a similar story, the pitch cutting up to combine with the wind, making an attractive passing game difficult. As Imperial made an effort to haul themselves back into a game that was rapidly sliding out of their control, SSEES were allowed space when breaking – something that lively forward Matt Thomas enjoyed when a ball forward from the back ran through to him; a sublime finish was still needed to put the result firmly in SSEES hands. Demigod winger Myles Pyne was then clipped when through in the box – Thomas placing the resultant spot kick firmly in the corner.

Imperial, to their credit, were scarcely deflated, keeper Tom Sleep having to be alert to turn away a rare shot on target in the last 15 minutes. However, SSEES closed out the game comfortably, with one of the goals of the season from captain fantastic Kempner questionably disallowed for offside.

All in all, a hugely successful day for SSEES – with a strong end to the season, the Red Army may yet find themselves amongst the upper echelons of the ULU Division 1 table.