Four arrested after explosion at Liverpool Women’s hospital released after questioning

£28,000 has already been raised for the taxi driver

Four men arrested under the Terrorism Act, after a car exploded outside the Liverpool Women’s hospital, have now been released from custody following interview.

The explosion killed one person and leaving another injured. The car involved is believed to be a taxi, the driver of which was sent to hospital after managing to escape. He has now been discharged. 

The explosion occurred at around 10:59 am on Sunday, shortly before the Remembrance Sunday commemorations were set to begin. Just a mile away, at the Liverpool Cathedral, military personnel and veterans were joining for a service.  

Four men were arrested, but Greater Manchester Police later confirmed it is “satisfied with the accounts they have provided and they have been released from police custody”.

Police yesterday on Rutland Avenue

A large police scene remained in place at Rutland Avenue in the Wavertree area of Liverpool throughout the remainder of the day, with residents of the streets being denied access back to their houses.

One local resident stated: “You really don’t expect stuff like this to happen literally right on your doorstep. It’s quite shocking in all honesty and the severity of the situation is only just dawning upon me. I’m very glad that at the moment all my housemates are safe. I think we are all just left with a lot of questions at the moment.”

A fundraising page set up claiming to raise money for the taxi driver has already reached almost £28,000.  

In a statement, the hospital said: “We would like to say thank you for the co-operation and support of our patients, visitors and staff who have been impacted by this incident. We would also like to say thank you to Merseyside Police, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service and all other emergency services who have supported the Trust.”

Chief Constable of Merseyside Police Serena Kennedy said: “I completely understand that communities in Merseyside may be concerned and I can reassure you that my officers are out on the ground and providing high visibility reassurance.

“There is no specific threat to the area, but I have asked for patrols to be increased across Merseyside.

“Incidents such as this are very rare, but I would ask people to remain calm, but be vigilant and alert.”

Continuing, Kennedy said: “Officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North West are leading the investigation, supported by detectives and uniformed officers from Merseyside Police, and we are continuing to work with our partners at Merseyside Fire and Rescue and the Liverpool Women’s Hospital to establish what has taken place.

“Merseyside Police will continue to liaise with community groups, community leaders, partner agencies and individuals in the coming days and weeks to make sure any concerns are addressed and ensuring that we provide the best possible service to local people.

In a statement, Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, of Greater Manchester Police, said: “Following interviews with the arrested men, we are satisfied with the accounts they have provided and they have been released from police custody.

“The investigation continues to move at a fast pace with investigative teams working throughout the night.

“We have made significant progress since Sunday morning and have a much greater understanding of the component parts of the device, how they were obtained and how the parts are likely to have been assembled. We have also recovered important evidence from the address at Rutland Avenue which is becoming central to the investigation.

“There is a considerable way to go to understand how this incident was planned, prepared for and how it happened. We are gaining a better understanding by the hour but it is likely to be some time, perhaps many weeks until we are confident on our understanding of what has taken place.

“In the meantime, we have considerable resources and staff deployed to understand how this device was built and who if anyone else was involved. If the evidence takes us to the involvement of others, further arrests will quickly take place.”

Anyone who has any information should call on 0161 856 1027 quoting Liverpool Womens Hospital incident. Details can be passed to the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.