UoL accepts plea to rebate accommodation fees paid during Christmas travel period

This is the second plea accepted from the Guild Officers’ Refund The Rent campaign

The University of Liverpool has confirmed they will offer a rebate of rent fees paid to university-owned accommodation during the Christmas travel period between December 2020 and January 2021.

This decision was made after the Liverpool Guild Student Officers team created the Refund The Rent campaign asking for the university to consider reimbursing accommodation fees paid during periods in which students have been asked to leave campus.

Out of the three pleas the campaign asks for, the University of Liverpool has accepted two: Rebating university-owned accommodation fees paid during the Christmas travel period and allowing students to leave university-owned accommodation contracts when they wish.

The Guild Officers team told The Liverpool Tab: “We welcome the university’s move to remove rent fees during travel windows.

“It’s a step in the right direction in putting money back into student’s pockets. However, we must push on. We would also welcome a decision to allow a partial rent refund being issued out next week – as other universities have done.”

The university is yet to answer the final plea entailed in the campaign: reimbursing 35 per cent of accommodation fees paid in the first semester after being told most their courses would be taught in-person.

For updates regarding the campaign, follow @Liverpoolguild on Twitter.

The Tab Liverpool has contacted The University of Liverpool who is yet to make a comment.