Police arrest 27 at anti-lockdown protest in Liverpool today

Merseyside Police describe protestors as ‘selfish, ignorant, and irresponsible’.

Hundreds gathered today in Liverpool city centre for a coronavirus lockdown protest which resulted in 27 arrests, 25 of which for public order offences and breaking coronavirus legislation.

Protestors marched next to the Bombed Out Church, St. George’s Hall and Bold Street whilst chanting anti-lockdown chants and holding banners saying ‘Covid is a scam’.

Mounted officers, police vehicles and helicopters were called into the city centre to monitor the demonstration.

Protestors began to disperse as the rain became heavier in the late afternoon.

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police called the protestors “selfish, ignorant and irresponsible” and said that “their actions should not overshadow the selfless behaviour of the majority of people living in the Liverpool city region who are continuing to abide by the rules.”

Police were reportedly gathering near Sefton Park after hearing rumours of a planned anti-lockdown protest, but the protestors primarily demonstrated in the city centre.

Merseyside Police tweeted a statement thanking the “vast majority of people who are abiding by lockdown rules” and reminding everyone that coronavirus legislation has been introduced to “protect lives, prevent the spread of Coronavirus and keep people safe.”