How to access mental health support at LJMU

Because your mental health is just as important as your physical health

With Liverpool now having the strictest COVID-19 restrictions in the country, it is understandable that students are feeling more isolated and anxious than usual right now. By being unable to go to the gym, meet friends or even carry on with societies, people are restricted from doing the things that get them out of their flat and help relieve stress.

With that in mind it is important to remember the resources that LJMU has available, for those of you who might be feeling more depressed, stressed and anxious at this time.  

Sites and Apps to access support  

In response to the pandemic, LJMU has partnered with a variety of mental health apps and services, designed to help students who might be suffering from stress, anxiety and depression. Each app has separate sections designed specifically to deal with the impact of COVID-19. 

The mental fitness app Fika enables students to learn from psychologists and academics in a series of programmes. The programmes themselves are designed to address the difficulties of studying remotely. The programmes also cover topics including managing distractions, maintaining motivation and staying connected.  

Likewise, LJMU has also partnered with SilverCloud, a behaviour therapy programme aiming to help students who might be experiencing anxiety, depression or stress. To help students who might be struggling due to Covid-19, SilverCloud has recently added a ‘Space from COVID-19′ resource.

LJMU have also teamed up with Togetherall is a wellbeing and mental health service offering 24/7 peer and professional support for students. The site is designed to help people self-manage their mental wellbeing.  

Services available within the uni

LJMU has a Mental Health team who can offer telephone support for students struggling, helping to provide information and address student’s needs, they can also signpost students to external services if necessary. This team can be accessed by emailing [email protected]. 

Alternatively, LJMU has a counselling service available for booked telephone support calls, who are also available for follow up calls if required, they can be contacted by emailing [email protected]. 

The Student Advice and Wellbeing team also run their own Twitter account, which posts further ways to access support, as well as any mental health-related events going on within the university that can benefit students.  

FAQs about the Student Advice and Wellbeing can be accessed here.

Out of hours support

For people experiencing a crisis outside of office hours please call the Samaritans on 116 123 or call Aintree University Hospital on 151 525 5980 for further support from staff. 

Want to write for The Tab Liverpool? DM us on our Instagram today!