Spots around Liverpool you didn’t realise were in movies

Wait, Chris Evans has stepped foot on the Docks?

Some spots around Liverpool are just so bloody iconic. Whether it’s where you vomited on the first night of Freshers, where you regretfully pulled a coursemate, or where you usually head for your post-Heebies pizza; there are some spots that hold a very special place in our hearts.

Some spots, however, are a bit more important than just our drunken adventures.

With the upcoming blockbuster, The Batman (2021) set to be filmed at St. Georges Hall in October, we thought we would explore what other movies have been filmed in Liverpool, which is known to transform into any city in the world – notably London, New York City, and Moscow.

Stanley Dock

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) was filmed at Stanley Dock to recreate Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, in the scene filmed there, Captain America uses his shield, for the first time, in the form of a yellow taxi door.

Stanley Dock was also used in Guy Richie’s Sherlock Holmes (2009), to look like warehouses in 1890s London.

Goodison Park

Creed (2015)

Everton’s Home Ground was used to film the final fight scene in the Rocky series spin-off Creed (2015), starring Evertonian Tony Bellew. The scene was used at half time during an actual Everton match.

Queensway/Birkenhead Tunnel

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010)

Birkenhead Tunnel is widely known for being used in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010) for a scene set in Dartford Crossing. It was also used in Fast & Furious 6 (2013) for one of its many chase scenes. The tunnel was used in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014) to look like New York’s Wall Street Underpass, proving that Liverpool is a transformative city that can look like just about anywhere in the world.

St. George’s Hall

Peep the columns and the steps of St. George’s Hall in the background (In the Name of the Father, 1993)

The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson is rumored to be filming at St. George’s Hall in early to mid-October. It was originally supposed to be filmed there around the time Lockdown came into effect back in March. But that’s not the only movie to be filmed there, St. George’s Hall is one of the most popular places used to film in Liverpool, other movies including, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016), Tolkien (2018), In the Name of the Father (1993) and many television series. 

Pier Head Area

The Pier Head area is another regularly used place for filming in Liverpool. It was used considerably in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) to look like 1920’s New York City, the Cunard Building was made to look like the interior of New York’s famous Macy’s store. A film famous set and shot in Liverpool is The 51st State (2001) starring Samuel L. Jackson, you’ll recognise many spots around Liverpool, including the India Buildings on Water Street. Other movies shot on Water Street are Florence Foster Jenkins (2016) and Al’s Lads (2001), a lesser-known movie about Al Capone’s bootleggers from Liverpool.