Liverpool Uni student tests positive for COVID-19

Staff were informed by email

A student at the University of Liverpool has tested positive for COVID-19.

Staff were alerted to the student’s diagnosis via an email, which said the student tested positive on the 15th of March, The Liverpool Echo reports.

“We are in contact with the student, who is doing well, and we are offering our full support,” it said.

The University has confirmed the student was on campus at least 10 days before his diagnosis, however the email revealed the student had been in touch with other students.

It read: “They were in touch with a few university friends over the weekend, however, and we have contacted those friends to offer advice and support.

“I’m sure you will join us in wishing the student concerned a swift recovery.

“Please note that, following the government’s decision to move from the containment to the delay phase, Public Health England is no longer tracing contacts of those who test positive for COVID-19.”

This follows the University’s decision to suspend all face-to-face teaching and close most campus buildings.

A spokesperson for the University said: “We recognise that this will change your learning experience over this period and have not taken this decision lightly.

“However, we hope that it will provide reassurance to you that we are doing everything we can to prioritise your wellbeing.

“Our aim is to make sure you can continue with your studies and progress at the same rate as you would with a normal teaching schedule.

“If you are due to graduate this summer, we fully expect you to be able to do so.”