Image may contain: Intersection, Asphalt, Tarmac, Car, Automobile, Road, Person, Human, Vehicle, Transportation, Bus

A child was hit by a car just off of Smithdown Road

He was rushed to hospital with severe head injuries

At around 5:30pm Tuesday night, the emergency services were called to an incident on Ullet Road, close to Sefton Park.

A 13-year-old boy was hit by a car and knocked off his bike. It is reported that the boy was rushed to hospital due to suffering serious head injuries.

Road closures were enforced immediately after the boy was found by paramedics between York Avenue and Cheltenham Avenue. Diversions for the Arriva 60 service were in place, taking a route via Lodge Lane and Smithdown Road.

Image may contain: Path, Street, Metropolis, City, Building, Town, Urban, Human, Person, Tarmac, Asphalt, Intersection, Road, Automobile, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

A spokesman for Merseyside Police confirmed the driver of the car had stopped at the scene and that enquiries are continuing.

A statement was made by the Merseyside Police: “We were called at 5:30pm to reports of an RTC involving a car and a 13-year-old make cyclist on Ullet Road. […] The driver stopped at the scene.”