Image may contain: Overcoat, Suit, Photo, Portrait, Photography, People, Jacket, Sleeve, Coat, Woman, Dress, Pants, Costume, Female, Face, Person, Human, Skin, Apparel, Clothing

How to decorate your student house for Halloween on a budget

Don’t be spending all of that SFE

We only have a week until the day of Halloween itself, and whether you're hosting pres, having a house party or just want any excuse to decorate, you'll surely be wanting tips on how to do so right here.

As students we don't all have the budget to blow £50 on something that only gets used once a year, so here is The Tab's foolproof guide to spooking up your house without hurting your bank account too much.

Decorations on the cheap

Even though there are a few specific occasion shops in Liverpool city centre, they're often frightfully expensive! So, head to discount and pound shops instead, where you can get decs for… you guessed it, a quid.

Good places to look are any one of the million Home Bargains in Liverpool, Wilko in St John's Shopping Centre and Primark in town. If you can't be arsed trekking there, Asda on Smithdown Road always has some great bits!

Treats over tricks

Even if you don't plan on getting many trick or treaters, I'm sure a couple bowls of sweets will be popular with your guests at party – just try not break your teeth on them (especially if they're cheap lol).

Image may contain: Grocery Store, Landscape, Panoramic, Outdoors, Nature, Scenery, Shop, Indoors

Plenty of options in Poundland for the sweet tooths among us!

As well as food, lots of the places we mentioned have deadly drinks for if you're getting bored of drinking vodka lemonade. Every. Night. Out.

Image may contain: Bottle, Alcohol, Drink, Beverage, Liquor

Only £10 from Wilko!

Going all out?

Some of us take the holiday very seriously and want our interior design skills to come through, so you can go from living in a standard student hellhole to a haunted Halloween house! (This isn't difficult in some cases.) Alongside copying a spider and throwing webs over everything, you may want to get a few statement pieces like this life-sized icon.

Image may contain: Skeleton, Person, Human

This was £15 from Wilko (yikes), but could make the party more alive!

Poundland has a great selection of lights to brighten up the scary day, so definitely pick up one (or hundreds) of these to keep your house lit!

Image may contain: Grocery Store, Market, Supermarket, Shop

One night only

For most of us, this will only be a yearly, one-time thing, unless you're crazy and decide to go out on the 31st, the weekend before AND the weekend after! If you've only just started at uni, try not to throw away all of your decorations as they'll do great for the years and student houses to come!

We should all try to think of the environment as well – thinking how slutty we can reasonably be when dressing up will save buying unnecessary costumes! Try to stay away from plastic cups and straws at your spooky soiree and pick up reusable or paper ones instead.

Image may contain: Bottle, Glass

Pick these lil' cuties up in Home Bargains

Not so into spooky season?

Whether you're not that arsed about Halloween, or just want to keep things low-key this year, you can still put a few bits up without going the full hog. Stick something on your window, lay a quirky table cloth down or just make some pumpkin soup from the remains of your masterpiece. Asda on Smithdown is selling pumpkins for days for £1.50, or your local supermarket will do them for a few quid.

Image may contain: Box, Produce, Food, Pumpkin, Vegetable, Plant

Unleash you're artistic or non-artistic skills

While hitting the shops to pimp your pad, have a look at the options! Most of these places have a great selection of costumes, especially if you feel like going as something other than a cat or the classic dead school kid that we've all definitely been at least once…

Whatever you're planning on doing, whether you're decorating or carving, drinking or pretending it's just another day, be sure to have a spooky but special 31st!