Image may contain: Vegetable, Produce, Food, Plant, Person, Human

A supermarket in Toxteth was named ‘Food Retailer of the Year’ in 2015, and we were dying to check this ‘magical’ place out

Smithdown Asda is so 2018

Hidden far far away, in the heart of the feared Toxteth is Lodge Lane's Manchester Super Store, an emporium that is any food lover's dream. Do you eat a lot of rice? Are you veggie? Do you miss seeing ‘Milo’ on our shelves? If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions, this supermarket is the one for you.

Fresh fruit and veg heaven

If you are a veggie or vegan, you must by now be getting bored with the mediocre selection in "Aldi’s Super 6". Buying carrots or cabbages for 49p is great, but there are only so many ways you can eat those vegetables. If you are looking to try something new, or miss something you maybe had on holiday that one time (like plantains), you NEED to get yourself to this supermarket. You can hand pick exactly how much of what fruit or veg you want, and there is plenty to choose from. Boring veggie dinner? I don’t think so!

Image may contain: Apple, Market, Fruit, Citrus Fruit, Food, Plant

If this isn't enough choice for you, you're just being picky

Bulk buyers beware

Let’s not kid ourselves, as a student you probably eat more rice and pasta than anything else. That means that you probably go through a big pack of pasta or rice in a week, therefore end up having to buy it every single time you go shopping. Well fear no more, this place sells giant packs of pretty much everything, and for a decent price too. Is natural yogurt your go-to snack? There’s a one kilo tub of it. Eat lots of rice? There are literally BAGS of it there. Like to be healthy and mix lentils with chickpeas and pinto beans? Yep, they have those too. All colours of beans, peas and rice, and all for a very tasty price.

Image may contain: Person, Human, Shelf, Supermarket, Market, Shop, Grocery Store

Tin aisle is where it's at

“I want to try something exotic”

Like any other independent supermarket, this supermarket has a lot of ingredients which you probably have never heard of before. From exotic looking vegetables, to brightly coloured spices, to flavoured teas you could never dream of finding in Asda or Aldi. If you're ever eager to try something new, this is probably where to find it. You bank account probably needs a break from Bold Street eateries anyway.

Image may contain: Food, Beer, Alcohol, Beverage, Drink, Shelf, Human, Person

Fancy looking Nutella? Hmmm I'll be trying that

Forgotten but not forever

Even products which disappeared from normal supermarket shelves years ago can be found here…ever drank Milo as a kid? Bring on those nostalgic memories of when life was more than deadlines and the SJ.

Image may contain: Shelf, Wheel, Machine, Finger, Clothing, Apparel, Kid, Female, Woman, Child, Girl, Teen, Blonde, Accessory, Glasses, Accessories, Human, Person

Nothing beats a nice selfie with some Turkish Delight and 'The Retailer of the Year 2015' banner in the background

It’s got your basics too

It is not just a supermarket that sells exotic products in extremely large quantities; this supermarket also does your basics like milk, flour, eggs, pasta, chocolate. For those living in Toxteth, this is like the best corner shop ever. Plus, it's not too far from Smithdown – we all need to explore beyond the norm sometimes.