Image may contain: River, Transportation, Human, Person, Land, Waterfront, Nature, Outdoors, Water

City of Lights take over Sefton Park for some after dark fun

The evening event is running until Sunday

This week from Wednesday 20th to Sunday 24th, the Lantern Company are bringing a magical treat to Sefton Park. After sunset, viewers can visit two showcased public creative art events; City of Sanctuary, which is a group of floating lanterns on the park's lake, and Habitats, which is a trail of glowing plants and animals in the Palm House gardens.

The illuminating floating city is free to attend and will be met with the creative additions of music, poetry and stories to add an emotional element to the artistic atmosphere; with the aim of bringing Liverpool communities, artists and generations together in one space.

For a more immersing experience, guests can buy tickets for £6 in advance to Habitats: Critters and Creatures Aglow, presented in the Palm House gardens, where visitors can enjoy an animated and intuitive animal story.

Jo Pocock, artistic director, Lantern Company, said: "City of Light, City of Sanctuary will see hundreds of illuminated lantern buildings, made through community participation and by our professional team, come together into a glowing cityscape floating on Sefton Park’s boating lake – from shelters, houses and blocks of flats to warehouses and iconic buildings from Liverpool and around the world".

Habitats will take place between 5pm and 9pm, booking is essential.