Image may contain: Outdoors, Convention Center, Town, City, Urban, Metropolis, Architecture, Building

Liverpool’s Echo Arena has a new name, and it’s the worst thing you’ll hear in 2019

This is not just any arena…

Let's face it, January is a pretty tragic time – your food baby from Christmas is still going strong, January exam revision means you can't hop off at Lime Street straight to The Raz, and then you find out the Echo Arena has a new name?

That's right, The Liverpool Echo have confirmed their namesake venue is to be called "M&S Bank Arena", with theirs, and Independent Liverpool's, Instagram pages also posting about this change. Gross.

Luckily, comments on the page have displayed the Scouse dismay we'd expect, making light of the "Tory" name that clearly doesn't fit with the city it's in.

The CEO of M&S Bank has stated to The Liverpool Echo that "We’re very much committed to supporting our local community, and over the last 10 years we’ve seen the Arena bring a phenomenal breadth of entertainment and cultural events to the city of Liverpool."

Image may contain: Text Message, Human, Person, Text

Real talk

Elle, a third year Psychology student reacts differently however, commenting that "M&S charge £2.20 for a dollop of hummus and a few carrot sticks, how do they think they'll fit in with Liverpool culture?"

With this info, we just need a sit down, and hope the Brookie or Heebies doesn't suffer a similar fate.