Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Furniture, Couch, Pottery, Dish, Dating, Cafe, Food, Meal, Coffee Cup, Cup, Child, Blonde, Woman, Kid, Teen, Girl, Accessories, Accessory, Glasses, Face, Smile, Female, Restaurant, Person, Human

The best and worst food hygiene ratings in Liverpool’s takeaways and restaurants

Find out how your favourite hangover cure scores

Food is a vital part of student life. A night out in Concert Square would be incomplete without crawling up Leece Street to Nabzy's afterwards, and who could survive a full day of lectures on campus without a Tesco meal deal?

But do you ever think about how hygienic your favourite food places are?

Liverpool City Council scores all food places in the area on a scale from 0 (urgent improvement necessary) to 5 (very good). Read on to find out where your faves rank.

5/5 – Very Good

Image may contain: Urban, Building

The Brookie earns a 5/5

To put your nerves at ease, the unofficial favourite pub of students; The Brookhouse scores a perfect 5/5 for its food hygiene rating, so a cheeky burger with your pint is still on the cards.

The Guild

Food joints on the UoL campus also score highly, with the Sphinx Bar, Guild Shop, Starbucks and the Subway on Brownlow Hill all achieving ratings of 5/5 too. At least now you don't have to worry about the quality of your lunch when you're putting off writing that essay in the Sydney Jones.

3/5 – Generally Satisfactory

Image may contain: Vehicle, Machine, Transportation, Urban, Canopy, Awning

Our favourite chicken shop (sorry KFC)

A couple of takeaway staples got scores of 3/5 on their last inspections, including Nabzy's – a solid result for the most reliable takeaway in town.

Dixy Chicken on Smithdown Road also scored 3/5, which is honestly shocking but an impressive feat.

2/5 – Improvement Necessary

Image may contain: Roof, Window, Brick

We're worried about our brunches now

If you live in Smithdown, you'll be familiar with indie restaurant Caffee Oro, but despite appearances it only achieved a rating of 2/5.

Image may contain: Town, City, Countryside, Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Rural, Urban, Architecture, Home Decor, Window, Office Building, Building

At least their aesthetic doesn't need improvement

What's even more shocking is that Bold Street favourite, Love Thy Neighbour also scored a 2/5 but we wouldn't blame you if you still went there for brunch for the #aesthetic.

1/5 – Major Improvement Necessary

Nabzy's rival Hot n Tender rings in at a rating of 1/5, so at least the debate as to which is better is settled. So maybe think twice next time before you buy that £6 pizza meal deal!

Image may contain: Architecture, Building, Handrail, Banister

L1 Starbucks

If you're looking for a real scandal then the Starbucks opposite John Lewis also gets a 1/5. But not to worry, there are still nine bloody Starbucks to choose from within about a mile radius that all scored 5/5.

0/5 – Urgent Improvement Necessary

Here is what you clicked on this article for. The worst of the worst for food hygiene in Liverpool. The places you will most definitely be judged for eating at.

Image may contain: Apartment Building, Shop, Housing, Indoors, Neighborhood, City, High Rise, Town, Urban, Building

The Caledonia

The Caledonia pub next to Philharmonic Court student accommodation scores a dire 0/5. It might be close for you Philly students, but just don't do it. You don't know what you could catch.

Chester's Chicken on Smithdown also gets a 0/5, but is anyone surprised really?

Good Luck

Now you are well-educated on where to and where not to eat, we wish you well in exploring the many swanky restaurants and dodgy takeaways Liverpool has to offer.

Stay safe kids, and if you're ever unsure, you can always check food hygiene ratings in your area here.