Image may contain: Parking Lot, Parking, Hospital, Clinic, Ambulance, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Van, Transportation
Breaking News

Breaking: A man has been shot dead on Alderson Road in Smithdown

The Police have launched a murder investigation

A man was shot dead around 10:40pm last night on Alderson Road, Wavertree. Merseyside Police have said the 25-year-old was taken to hospital where he later died.

It is believed this gun attack is the sixth in Merseyside this month. The man has been identified and his next of kin are being informed.

Police officers are currently carrying out forensic, witness and house-to-house enquiries in the area, and are appealing to anyone with information or CCTV footage to come forward.

A University of Liverpool student and resident of Alderson Road was witness to the police presence last night and told The Liverpool Tab: "I was in Smithdown ASDA at the time of the shooting and by the time I got back to Alderson Road I could see police cars and helicopters further down. I only realised what had happened when I got home. My housemates and I are all pretty shaken up."

Image may contain: Urban, Neighborhood, Building

Other local students also witnessed the aftermath of the incident, one told The Liverpool Tab: "Last night as we were getting ready for bed we heard all these helicopters circling. I won't lie, it was quite scary. Just think, if we’d have popped to the corner shop we could’ve been caught in it."

Speaking to the BBC, Detective Inspector Fitzpatrick said: "In these early stages of our investigation, we are appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time, who may have seen the incident or seen anyone making off on foot or in a vehicle immediately after, possibly in the direction of Lawrence Road."

Anyone with information can contact @MerPolCC, call 101 with reference 1144, or @CrimestoppersUK anonymously on 0800 555 111, which is completely independent to the police.

The Liverpool Tab will keep you updated as this story develops.