Image may contain: Ornament, Jewelry, Bangles, Rock, Person, People, Human

Campaign group plaster Liverpool with ‘transphobic’ stickers saying ‘women don’t have penises’

‘Biology is not bigotry. Gender is a social construct’

There has been public backlash throughout Liverpool after "women don't have penises" stickers, criticised for being "transphobic", have been put up throughout the city, including covering the famous Crosby Beach statues.

The Liverpool-based campaign group Liverpool ReSisters describe themselves as a group protecting "single sex spaces for women and girls in our great city" and have angered many online with their "women don't have penises" campaign.

The group's involvement in the sticker campaign was recently confirmed after they tweeted in support and took to Instagram claiming that they'd been "busy bees".

Liverpool's mayor Joe Anderson has condemned the group in support of Liverpool's thriving LGBTQ+ community and is calling for police to investigate further.

A trans-led litter pick and sticker clean event has been organised for 25th August in support of LGBTQ+ in Liverpool along Crosby Beach. Find further details here.

Local feminist organisation @GrrrlPowerLiverpool also condemned the campaign alongside other Liverpool based groups.

We spoke to Lily who studies History and Criminology at the University of Liverpool and she had this to say. "I just think it’s disgraceful that in 2018 people can’t let people be who they want to be and how pathetic it is that someone’s taken time out of their day to draw a penis on a statue.

"It’s honestly ridiculous. Liverpool is such a diverse city that celebrates equality and everyone should be seen as equal no matter what their gender or sexual orientation"

We have reached out for a comment from Liverpool ReSister but are yet to receive a response. However they have tweeted this press release: