Image may contain: Music, Leisure Activities, Toy, Frisbee, Disk, Person, People, Human

These are the things you should do under no circumstances EVER during Freshers’ Week in Liverpool

Nobody cares that you have a Maths A-Level

Freshers' Week in Liverpool will be one of the most memorable (or not) experiences of your life. You'll spend most of the week drinking, making new friends and generally having a great time.

However, there are some easy mistakes to make during Freshers' Week so we've compiled a list of what to avoid. Trust us, nobody wants these regrets.

Sleep with your flatmate

Chances are you've already heard this advice. Your older brother gave you this advice, your brothers mates gave you this advice, even your nan gave you this advice. Now we're giving you this advice. Do not sleep with your flatmate.

Sleeping with your flatmate can go one of two ways. It'll either happen once, you'll agree it was a mistake and it'll be slightly awkward between the two of you for the rest of the year, or it'll happen once, and then again, and then again. Soon enough you'll be in a relationship with this flatmate. This relationship will not last. This relationship will, however, last long enough that you've signed up for a house in second year together. The two of you will break up and you'll be stuck living with your ex.

Having said all this, we know that when you're drunk in Freshers' Week you will probably still do it, so just make sure it goes the first way and not the second.

Buy tickets/wristbands for events that turn out to be shit

Freshers' Week is exciting and you probably do want to buy some form of tickets for events. However, chances are you've seen lots of tickets being sold for various events that will turn out to be shit.

Companies that run these events create fake Facebook profiles and pose as students writing obvious stuff like "OMG this looks really good I've already got my ticket!". If you are going to buy tickets, we recommend buying the official freshers wristband from Cool It, the events company that run most of the student nights out in Liverpool.

At least you will know these events will be busy, and buying a wristband will give you queue jump rather than being stuck waiting outside for ages.

You really don't want to end up in an empty nightclub

Get way too personal in a game of "Never Have I Ever" with complete strangers

If you're playing with your flatmates then chances are you can reveal all, you're stuck with them for the year so they're probably going to see you at your worst. But if you're playing with the lads from downstairs that you've just met? Maybe don't let them know about the time you slept with your best friend's boyfriend. You don't want to be walking around campus and seeing people that know your darkest secrets even though you've only spoken to them twice all year.

Image may contain: Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

Join a million societies at the Freshers' fair

Societies are a fantastic way to make new friends at university, but do go overboard. It is a good idea to do some research into what societies are available at your university before going to the welcome fair. This way you can go with some idea of what you want to sign up for in mind, rather than handing out your email address to everyone that asks for it and ending up overwhelmed with invites to different society socials.

Join the uni gym

The university gym at Liverpool is extremely expensive and it gets way too busy. Whilst it is clearly worth joining a gym to keep fit, you might be better off looking at private gyms in Liverpool such as Easygym. That said, if you intend to participate in any university sports that require the sports centre's facilities you will need to buy a sports club membership anyway, so may as well pay the extra money and use the university gym.

Image may contain: Lighting, Furniture, Chair, Working Out, Sports, Sport, Gym, Fitness, Exercise

Trust us, it's never normally this empty

Spend too much time in your room

It's a huge cliché, but the more you put into Freshers' Week, the more you get out of it. You don't have to go out every night, but spending time with your new flatmates is important. Starting university is scary and it's easy to isolate yourself, but it is the worst thing you can do. Make that bit of extra effort to spend time with these new people and you'll enjoy your first year much more.

On the other end of the scale, if you notice one of your new flatmates is quite withdrawn please do your utmost to include them and make them feel welcome.

Become best friends with the first person you meet

Yes, be friendly to everyone. But bear in mind that the chances are you aren't going to meet your best friend for life on your first day. Don't force friendships with people that aren't that similar to you, you'll only regret it later.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

The first person I met at uni, got stuck living with her for all three years

Be that one person talking about what A-levels they did

Three months ago A-Levels were the most important thing in your life, but that was three months ago. You're at university now, whether you got the grades you wanted or you didn't this is where you're at. So when you're at that first pre-drinks with your new friends don't be that one person who pipes up "so what A-Levels did you do?". Nobody cares. You don't care what other people did and they definitely don't care what you did. Got in with three A*s? Well done you, we still ended up at the same uni.

Not sign up to write for The Tab Liverpool ASAP

We are the Liverpool branch of a nationwide online student news outlet that reports on news ranging from rats in nightclubs to lecturers striking. We also write features articles such as this one, opinion pieces and fashion articles. We are always looking for keen new writers; if you're interested in writing for The Tab Liverpool, you can sign up here or email our editor at [email protected].

Image may contain: Restaurant, Cafe, Bowl, Person, People, Human