Image may contain: Building

More than 200 jobs planned to be cut at the University of Liverpool

Say bye bye to your favourite lecturer

The University of Liverpool have announced a new 'change' plan in order to help position the university within the top 100 globally. However, this plan involves cutting up to 220 jobs.

In a recently released statement, the university has announced that it will be 'reshaping' its academic staff – and hopes that staff will take an offered option of voluntary redundancy.

The university states that it will utilise the money saved on staffing to invest in research and teaching within other specialist areas. The university has highlighted a ten-year strategy of change to achieve an increase in the overall quality of research and education. It visions the aim of being recognised as a top 100 university globally by 2026.

However, in recent years the university has been falling lower down the league tables. The Complete University Guide rankings saw the University of Liverpool drop three places from 2017, being ranked in 41st place for 2018. Liverpool also dropped 16 places in the QS World University Rankings 10 months ago.

However, in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018 Liverpool remained within the top 30 uni's in the UK.

Image may contain: Trademark, Logo, Emblem, Badge

The university said:

"The University of Liverpool has developed a strong track record and reputation over the years and remains highly regarded for particular strengths."

"For example, our research capability in infectious disease, advanced materials and personalised medicine is internationally renowned, while the University’s teaching programmes demonstrate our global vision by offering a unique range of opportunities for students in the UK, online and overseas."

This proposition to remove over 200 positions from the uni comes at a particular time of unrest; with staff currently in a pension war that would see them being almost £10,000 worse off in retirement. We have just underwent period of strikes over the past month; with no solution on the horizon.

The university seemed focused on broadcasting the image that saved money will be invested upon the university and move towards it's future development. UCU official Martyn Moss said: "We are seeking more information on what exactly this will mean for staff and students at the University of Liverpool."

"We are unconvinced that getting rid of over 200 valuable and experienced teaching and research staff is the best approach to try and improve rankings for teaching and research."