Image may contain: Trademark, Logo

Topman withdraws ’96’ t-shirt due to Hillsborough controversy

Liverpool fans have taken to social media to voice their outrage

Topman has removed a shirt, retailing at £20, from their online store today after complaints that the shirt referenced the Hillsborough disaster.

The shirt itself is red, with the number 96 and the text "What goes around comes back around" on the back. The slogan "KARMA" also runs down one sleeve, with a single red rose image integrated into the back design.

This is thought by many Liverpool fans to be a reference to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

Topman has apologised, stating that the shirt design was based on the Bob Marley's 1996 track 'What goes around comes around'. Fans however remain disgusted.

A Liverpool fan and student at UoL, Ashleigh, had this to say on the matter: "Making light of Hillsborough is extremely dangerous. For Liverpool fans, it is a very sensitive topic, and one that is still misunderstood by many.

"In recent years there have been many steps forwards in terms of justice for Hillsborough, but seeing insensitive things such as this is disheartening, and shows that there is still some way to go."

After a huge backlash on social media, Topman has removed the item from their online store.