Police launch murder inquiry after 21-year-old fatally stabbed on Seel Street

The incident occurred in Empire Bar

Merseyside Police have launched a murder inquiry after a 21-year-old man was fatally stabbed in Empire nightclub last night.

According to Police, shortly before midnight a call was received of a man having been stabbed at Empire Bar on Seel Street.

The 21-year-old was taken to hospital and pronounced deceased at 1.23am. His family have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Tivendale said: “Our investigation is in its very early stages but we initially believe that some kind of altercation may have taken place in the basement area of the bar, leading to a tragically fatal attack.

“We need to hear from anyone who witnessed an altercation, the incident itself, or may have seen, heard or come into contact with anyone involved.

“You may have heard words being exchanged or someone running from the bar. All information provided will be acted upon and may be vital in identifying who was responsible and bringing them to justice.”

If you have any information please contact detectives on 0151 777 4814 or 0151 777 4065, call 101 quoting incident 1254, or you can contact Crimestoppers, anonymously and for free, on 0800 555 111.