Help the Homeless are fundraising for the annual Whitechapel sleepout

Last year £2500 was raised

UoL Help the Homeless Society are a group of socially conscious individuals who aim to raise awareness of and provide increased support for vulnerable rough sleepers and refugees in Liverpool. The Liverpool Sleepout is back for the 4th year running in order to increase awareness of homelessness and raise funds for those who are homeless in Liverpool. The sleepout will be taking place Friday 13th October.

Whitechapel are the leading homelessness charity in Liverpool. They have been providing invaluable support to Liverpool’s homeless for over 35 years. They society want to help them to continue their amazing work by raising as much money as possible. Last year, they participated in the annual Whitechapel Sleepout and managed to raise £2500 – this year they want to do even better!

Although the aim is to give people an insight into the issues homeless people face and a taster of what sleeping rough is like, it won’t be entirely realistic. They will be sleeping outside in the grounds of St James in the City, Upper Parliament Street, but will be in a safe area, with stewards and access to toilets and refreshments.

Although there is a serious message behind the event, the society also want to add some fun to it to create an unforgettable night. The evening will have entertainment and there will be prize for: Best onesie, best shelter, best individual fundraiser and best team fundraiser.

How your fundraising will help:
£5 – Cooked breakfast for 10 rough sleepers.
£15 – An advice session with one a skilled worker, securing accomodation for someone who would otherwise sleep rough.
£25 – A tutor and materials for a structured training session, giving homeless people essential life skills.

Lily, Co-President of the Help the Homeless committee, said “We’ve decided to take part in the Liverpool Sleepout because we want to do something that will effectively support the now sadly 4,000 people within our population who do not have a permanent home. Last year alone the Whitechapel managed to help 3000 people with a range of services so we know that the money we raise will be going to something that really does have an impact and make a difference.”
“I took part in the sleepout last year and whilst the general comaradery and atmosphere of the event was really enjoyable, when it came to the sleeping part, the harsh reality of a night without our usual comforts became all too apparent. The memory of the grogginess I felt the next day has motivated me to fundraise harder this year, to do what I can to support a charity that works year round to try give people back the comforts they deserve.”

All participants must be aged 18 or over and register in advance. The entry fee is £10 per person and the sponsorship target is £150 per person.

You can keep up to date with the event through the UoL Help the Homeless Facebook page and you can donate to the Just Giving page here.