Hidden camera and microphone found in women’s university library toilet

Found in Avril Robarts Library, second-floor female toilets

A hidden camera and microphone found in a girls’ toilet at Liverpool John Moores’ library has launched a police investigation.

On June 27th a horrified student found the sophisticated kit into a corner behind the sanitary bins and toilet bowl in a cubicle.

Police are investigating the case after the Dublin student, who wishes to remain anonymous, found the device in the women’s toilets of the Avril Robarts library on the second floor.

Pic of camera found in bathroom

It’s been reported that the device was covered in a layer of duct tape in order to conceal it, yet there is no information as to how or when it was put there as well as how many female students may have been covertly filmed/recorded.

The Herald reported that the student who made the discovery showed her outrage on social media: “I am absolutely sickened posting this, but everyone needs to know and be aware this s**t is going on.

“Today in LJMU Avril Robarts Library second-floor toilets, I found a camera taped into a corner behind the sanitary bins and toilet bowl in a toilet cubicle.

“A few others girls mentioned seeing the duct tape, but didn’t think anything of it. My curiosity got the better of me and I peeled it off the wall and found this.”

The student also added that she told the university’s security as well as contacting the police. The Herald further reported that a Merseyside police spokesman said: “Merseyside Police can confirm that at 4:50pm on Tuesday, 27 June, we received a report from security staff at Liverpool John Moores University that a covert camera had been found in the ladies’ toilets in the Avril Robarts Library on Tithebarn Street.

“The camera was found by a female student who handed it to the university’s security staff.

“Officers from Merseyside Police’s High Tech Crime Unit are examining the camera and enquiries are ongoing.”

In addition to this, an LJMU spokeswoman said: “The university was made aware of a camera that had been placed in the toilets of Avril Robarts library, the camera was removed and the incident was reported to Security.

“We alerted police who are now investigating the matter alongside our own campus police officer.

“We are shocked by this incident and would like to reassure all our staff and students that we place the utmost importance on their safety on campus.”