UoL only awarded bronze as LJMU secure a gold in TEF Rankings

Oh dear

Times Higher Education released their Teaching Excellence Framework ranking today (TEF), which is essentially the government's major assessment of teaching standards in higher education. The rankings are based on research standards; teaching quality and industrial reputation.

UoL has dropped one place in their world rankings from 157th to 158th. However, more shocking than this is that overall, TEF only awarded Liverpool a 'bronze' rating. This is compared to Universities such as Liverpool John Moores and Nottingham Trent who both received golds.

The University of Liverpool is not the only Russell Group institution to receive a disappointing rating, both the London School of Economics and Southampton have also only managed to attain the bronze rating.

The results are largely based on feedback given in the NSS survey, which the guild recently boycotted, seeing the completion rate lower from 76%, to 43%.

Ellie Rice, a third year Communications said that "The results could well be off after we decided to boycott the survey, and I'm not sure it's worth being a gold standard uni if that means the government could raise our fees".