There’s a huge clothes swap at the Guild TODAY raising money for Merseyside refugee charities

You can even win tickets to Sound City and Baltic Weekender today

clothes swap guild liverpool STAR uni

The ‘Student Action for Refugees’ society  (STAR) are hosting a Summer Fundraiser today Tuesday 25th April to raise money for Asylum Link Merseyside, a charity that assists Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Liverpool with clothes, food and housing.

The free event is from 10:00-15:00 in the Gilmour Room of the Guild, with the main attraction being a clothes swap and raffle with incredible prizes – where all money raised and clothes donated go to the charity.

Donations from local vintage shops such as ‘Resurrection’ as well as from donations from students across Liverpool. By donating clothes yourself, you will be put on the clothes “guest-list” which will allow you to take away as many clothes you want. If you haven’t got anything to donate, you can still buy many items for a very cheap price.

STAR provide weekly English lessons

Any clothes that aren’t sold on the day will be donated to refugees who are in need.

A key part of the event is the raffle where if you donate £3, you could be in with a chance with winning any of the following prizes:

• 2 x Sound City tickets for the full weekend
    2 x Abandon Silence tickets for Friday 28th April
  • 2 x Baltic Weekender Tickets
  • 1 x Windows Lumia phone
    2 x Fiesta Bombarda tickets on Saturday 3rd June
    2 x Tickets to a theatre production at the Everyman or Playhouse
    2 x Tickets to Festevol
    1 x Shared Earth on Bold St voucher
    2 x Independent Liverpool cards
    1 x £25 voucher for MOWGLI on Bold St

Alongside a photo exhibition, there will be charity stalls from local organisations that provide services that aid refugees in the Merseyside area and will provide details of how you can get involved.

Speaking to ‘The Tab’, Tamsin Nicole, President of the society, said: “We wanted to hold a big event not only as a way to raise money but to also celebrate such a good year with STAR. The money we raise will go to asylum link, the charity we work with.

“The work they do for asylum seekers and refugees is so amazing and they deserve every penny. We also wanted to help raise awareness to students who don’t normally attend a STAR event so thought a clothes swap would attract all kinds of people.”

some members of the society in a workshop

If you want to join STAR follow this link and if you would like to be part of the Committee next year, they are currently looking for people to take over.