This campus football team got the 24 Kitchen Street logo printed on their kit to help #savekitchenstreet

They’ve all been given guest list for the next big event at the venue

campus club Football kitchen street team tshirts

A Liverpool campus football team has had the 24 Kitchen Street logo printed on their kit to show solidarity for the #savekitchenstreet campaign started earlier this year.

Cross Baa Bar FC are a team of 2nd year lads who met during their first year of university in halls and play in the campus football league at the university. Their captain, medical student Alexander Wells, told The Tab: “Liverpool has a thriving underground music scene and it came to our attention that we could be losing a flagship part of this with the potential demise of 24 Kitchen Street.

“One of our players, combative full back Sam Jubb, decided to take this cause we all hold so dear deeply by the scruff of the neck. He reached out to the owners. This led to us having the Kitchen Street logo emblazoned on our shirt to spread the message that this iconic venue must remain.”

24 Kitchen Street posted a photo of the lads on Instagram and Facebook, promising them all guest list for Worried About Henry’s Outlook Festival launch next month.

The boys on a social

Cross Baa Bar player and geography student Austin Pack, said: “It’s a great movement to get behind and I’m bussing for DJ Hazard on the 28th!” while his team mate marine biology student Matthew ‘the bouncer’ Halliday said: “It’s a big thumbs up for this campaign.” Danial Wyn Owen, a 2nd year geography student, said: “I’m from Wales and I wish we had such an iconic venue at home.”

The #savekitchenstreet social media campaign started three months ago, after an application to build 200 flats next to the popular music venue was proposed by Songbird property developers. At the time, 24 Kitchen Street posted on Facebook opposing the plans, saying that the developer’s noise assessment in the application “contains many flaws, including the fact that it does not consider the rooftop garden area and sound readings in the street were not taken when the venue closes and people leaving the venue create perhaps the most significant level of noise.”

When The Tab contacted 24 Kitchen Street in November, asking how Liverpool students could help, they suggested that people should tweet Liverpool council and local councillors, asking them to #savekitchenstreet.